Hii everyone, hope you are doing good.
If you are here it probably means you are planning to buy a mattress and gather knowledge about different options(type) of mattress available.
Here you will get familiar with the types of mattress available in India, their advantages and disadvantages. But if you want you can skip this and directly go to the List of best mattresses available in India a buyers guide.
You know what, just going through the buying guide would not satisfy you on your choice. It is better to know the type of mattress and its advantages and disadvantages so that you are in a better position to make the right choice. So let’s get started.
Here we have listed some commonly known and easily available types of mattresses in India. Remember that each mattress discussed here is unique in its own way. So, make sure to understand the details thoroughly.
1. Memory Foam Mattress:
Memory foam generally comes with a layer of support and gel foam together. What this mattress does is it makes use of your body heat to mold itself to your unique shape and the gel foam gives your back a cooling effect.
Nowadays the mattress coming under the memory foam category consist of 2 or more layers (usually 4 layers in a 6inch mattress). Each layer used here is to give different pressure resulting in great support and comfort. The word “memory” justifies nature, as with enough time this mattress will be able to retain the shape of your body in its memory. That doesn’t mean it will always be in that shape, once this pressure is removed from the mattress, it bounces back to its original shape gradually. But you will notice that after 3 – 5 times use, you feel like the mattress is just giving you a comfy hug.
Another name that memory foam is popularly known as is visco-elastic foam, made from a polyurethane material. Originally this foam was designed by NASA around the mid-1960s to face the extreme pressure that astronauts are prone to when they enter or exit the Earth’s atmosphere. Expeditiously, the potential of memory foam material was recognized, and it began to show up in mattresses, toppers, and even pillows. Check out Memory Foam Mattress online.
Advantages Memory Foam Mattress:
- Uses your body heat to mold itself to the exact shape of your body.
- Memory foam can help relieve the pain in your pressure spots. Works wonderfully for people who suffer from Arthritis or joint pain.
- Gel memory foam helps cushion and comfort your body, and reduce the impact you might encounter: additionally providing a cooling effect.
- The hypoallergenic nature of Memory foam helps reduce the number of allergens on the surface with the help of its dense structure.
Disadvantages Memory Foam Mattress:
- Due to the layering of foam, this one can be bulkier and heavier.
- One needs to consider a high budget while planning to buy Memory foam mattresses.
2. Latex Mattress:
Latex mattress is created with the combination of latex foam with either of two components like reflex foam or springs, with the main component being Latex.
Latex was discovered by Dunlopillo in the early 1900s, naturally latex comes from the sap of a rubber tree. This mattress is a great option if you want to add support beneath your back while enjoying great durability. The discovery of latex potential by Dunlopillo brought about a latex revolution in the industry of mattresses and introduced a new range of bedding made purely with latex foam. Latex mattresses are great and optimum for their incredible comfort and pressure relief capacities. See the options available online.
Advantages Latex Mattress:
- Latex is naturally strong, and mattresses made with latex can maintain a steady performance for a long time.
- Pressure-relieving qualities – has elastic properties, thereby, can stretch according to your shape, weight, and movements. Perfect support system for heaviest areas of your body with the help of elasticity.
- Easy to maintain mattresses.
- Soul is of natural material as a result naturally resistant to dust mites and helps you get a clean, fresh, and healthy sleep surrounding.
- Latex mattresses are also Hypoallergenic, as it is made with natural material.
Disadvantages Latex Mattress:
- Full latex mattresses are quite heavier, mattresses having a combination of latex with reflex foam or springs are lesser in weight.
- In terms of cost, this type can be heavier on your pocket.
3. Hybrid Mattress:
A hybrid mattress is nothing but a multi-layer bed. That is made up by combining memory foam, latex, or gel along with an innerspring system.
This mattress is one of the best options available since it combines and uses the features of each layer the mattress is made up of. Especially for sleepers who want to experience the pressure relief of the foam layers, the lightness of latex and the sturdy feel of a classic spring mattress. Nowadays many brands offer hybrid foam mattresses, check it out online.
What are the components of Hybrid Mattress?
- Base Layers: Normally made of foam, the purpose of this 1 – inch layer at the top provides padding, sturdiness and stability.
- Support Core: This is the important component that contributes to the bulk of the mattress height at 6 to 8 inches. Pocket-wrapped coils and springs provide spinal support.
- Comfort Layer: as the same suggests, this layer is used to provide comfort – body-hugging material (the layer you rest on). This is typically 2 to 4 inches made of cushioned components like memory foam, latex and cool-inducing gel.
- Pillow Top: This comment is not widely seen on hybrid mattress brands. It is basically a 1 to 2-inch pillow top sewn on top of the comfort layer to provide additional cushioning.
Advantages Hybrid Mattress:
- A better ability to mold into a specific shape as compared to other types of mattresses.
- Unlike memory foam mattresses, you do not feel like you are sinking in and hence eliminating heat.
- Due to different layers used, it effectively reduces the transfer of motion between two people sleeping together.
Disadvantages Hybrid Mattress:
- Different component layers added to the cost of the mattress.
4. Spring Mattress:
A more traditional mattress than others – a spring mattress, one can possibly hear saying spring mattress as the predecessor of the foam mattress.
Due to its traditional nature, the spring mattress has an old fashioned image for some – however, they are still very popular. They offer a lot of bounce, good temperature control and come in a wide variety of prices.
It is made up of many metal coils that have been suspended in the other materials of the mattress. These metal coils offer a lot more support, especially in the case of heavier people or those who have back and hip problems. The support is provided by using the body pressure to push back.
But this also adds a potential drawback, the body’s inability to apply similar pressure throughout the mattress. As a result of that, your chest, hips, and other parts of the body that press down the hardest will get the most pushback. This situation might turn into a nightmare for some sleepers. Check out the options available online.
Advantages Spring Mattress:
- Wide range of mattresses at low cost, making it the best fit for people having low budget or temporary use.
- The remains in their constructed shape and size for a long period of time – making the mattress durable.
- It has better circulation, provisioning a better night’s sleep.
Disadvantages Spring Mattress:
- Spring mattresses have a bad name for wearing down fast, due to the springs that lose support and compress the padding.
- Spring mattress structure makes it heavy to move around and hence they are hard to set up at times.
- Since the underlying layers in the mattresses contain wool and fiber, resulting in a great place for dust mites.
5. Air Beds:
An air mattress is made up of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or textile-reinforced urethane plastic or rubber. also known as an airbed or a blow-up bed.
The best thing about this mattress is the deflated mattress can be compacted and carried or stored in a small form. They are inflated by blowing into a valve but don’t worry, you don’t have to pump the mattress and exhaust yourself. Air beds in the market come either with a manual or an electric pump. Some are automatically inflated when a valve is opened, up to a certain pressure with additional inflation manually or by pump. So it’s up to you which one you won’t choose for yourself. Some buying options available online.
Advantages Air Bed:
- Provide firm feelings and add support to your body.
- Stabilizes heat and maintains your body temperature.
Disadvantages Air Bed:
- The obvious thing that comes to our mind is the tendency of air leaks and punctures.
- A lot of noise is caused by some pumping methods.
6. Water Beds:
Another interesting mattress we are going to discuss here is the Water bed. A waterbed as the name suggests is filled up with water i.e the main support system here is water – also known as a water mattress or floating bed.
Water beds were also found in late history around 3600 BCE made up of animal skin mattresses filled with water. Then this water bed riched to pick of thor popularity in the 1980s, this time it was made of vinyl mattress that is filled with water. From the 19th century, waterbeds made of rubber were used, this kind of water bed was normally seen in hospitals for patients. Nowadays many people get water beds for senior family members and also for them since they are easy when it comes down to maintenance.
There are two types of waterbeds in the market – Soft-sided and Hard-sided. Softside waterbeds have a comfortable outer edge. These beds are shaped with foam bolsters (covered with foam on all sides). Hard-Sided gets its shape from hardwoods or softwoods – giving it a classier look. Basically, this bed comes with a waterbed frame.
Things one should consider, when you fill the water for the first time you might have to add a water conditioner to the liquid. This will increase the life of water, so you don’t have to change the water until it needs to be moved. Buying options available online.
- Help in relaxing your muscles.
- Easy to Maintain and easy to clean the mattress.
- Resistance from dust mites.
- Mattress unable to conform to the shape of your body
- Even though waterbeds conform to your body, it offers poor support to the joints. As a result, you may begin to experience back pain or numbness after sleeping on a waterbed.
- Another thing is the worry of leaks and punctures.
7. Coir Mattress
The coir mattress is truly Indian from the core – unique to only this country. Rubberized coir mattress is another name for coir mattress. It is made up of coconut coir or fibers. Coir is the primary material used to make this type of mattress. The coir is nicely covered with premium quality fabric to give it an attractive look.
Among the list of all mattress types, this is the only eco-friendly mattress. A coir bed mattress is said to provide excellent support for all sleeping positions.
Apart from that since these mattresses are highly economical, these are perfect choices for short-time use or temporary use. However, make sure to save up your money for a replacement as soon as possible. These beddings usually do not last for a prolonged period. Check out some coir mattresses online.
Advantages Coir Mattress:
- eco-friendly mattress made of non-harmful material.
- Best for people suffering from dust allergies due to its anti-dust quality and completely anti-moth.
- Coir mattress lets the air circulate through it, which is why it is ideal in summers.
Disadvantages Coir Mattress:
- Some smell when the mattress is initially manufactured but it goes away in a few days.
- They are too firm, not a good option for people who want to sleep on soft and luxurious surfaces.
- Coir mattresses can easily slump or get depressions because they don’t push back mechanism.
- They are not durable – best fit for short time or temporary use.